Sunday, November 1, 2009

Shhh... And don't you dare tell Daddy!

Well Kali and I have been wanting to go hike angels landing but I have always said that I am not in good enough shape to hike this strenuous of a hike. Well we decided that for Halloween we were going to go hiking and guess where we went? I was instructed by mom and dad to not tell them when we went so I text Hollie and told her what we were doing so at least someone would know. Hollie was a nervous wreck, I told her that we would call her by 6 pm when we were done and to not worry. And so began our journey on Angels Landing... I was pretty impressed that it took us about four hours to hike it. These pictures are not in any order so just enjoy. This picture is looking off the top of one of the mountains, it was so pretty and I sure didn't realize that we had climbed that high. I knew that this was a strenuous hike but I didn't realize that the whole hike was a straight uphill climb. I kept trying to tell Kali to go in front of me but she wouldn't do it. She had to put up with me stopping every few minutes so I could catch my breath.
This picture is the start of the famous chains. I did pretty good with this part but was starting to get even more nervous. I sure wasn't prepared for what was about to come.

I was too big of a chicken to cross the drop off and make the final climb. I was so scared that I was crying...It just so happens that there was a couple right there and we started talking to them. They were from Germany and they mentioned that Ami (ah-mee) did not want to go but Allie did. So I suggested that Ali and Kali go together and that is just what happened. Ami and I stayed behind and enjoyed the scenery where we were. As we were sitting there talking a California condor flew by. I didn't have my camera out but Kali got this picture from the top. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen and was such a peaceful experience to see it so up close.

This is Kali at the top of Angels landing.
The hike up was pretty difficult. This is what they call Walters wiggles and it is a bunch of pretty steep switch backs. I must of looked pretty tired because people kept telling me how much farther I had to go.

Kali was so full of energy and didn't complain once. I sure felt like the lame one in the group.

This picture was about half the way up at one of the many stops we made.

On the way down we looked over the edge and this was the trail that we hiked. It sure was a great experience.
As I waited for Kali, I tried to get a picture of her climbing the last climb to the top. If you look close you can see her blue shirt.


This is Kali and Allie crossing back....

So these were our adventures on Angels Landing. I had been so excited to hike this and was actually really embarrassed that I couldn't make myself finish. But when it came right down to it, I was so scared that I was in tears and I could not make myself do it. I am a little disappointed that I didn't get to the final view but I just knew that if I tried to keep going it would be more dangerous for me then it would have been worth. I was able to visit with Ami and was able to ponder on a lot of things. Overall, this hike taught me that I can do hard things but that I need to trust my first instincts and not make stupid decisions just because everyone around me is doing it. Maybe one day I will go back and be able to make it to the top but for now I am pleased with what I was able to do and that I made it as far as I did.

6 comments:

Kali said...

Ti I am so proud of you and for making it so far!! I know when people were turing around at the very beginning it seemed so easy to just give up, but you stayed strong and made the hike way fun!! I'm sorry you didn't make it to the top and that I went without you, but I am glad we got to get to know Allie and Ami better :)
Thanks for being such a trooper!!!
Lets do it again next summer!!!

Anonymous said...

wowser what a hike.....I KNOW I wouldn't be able to do it you totally have guts even if you didn't make it to the top! Maybe next time you could let someone else know about it and let me off the hook and not be so worried about you!!! jk

The Barrett's said...

To bad I wasn't with you, then you could have felt real strong. Glad you went and took picture. Looking down on the trail I would have never made it past the cliff part. Scary! Way to go, Marla

Parker Family said...

That is crazy! I do not enjoy hiking that much and would have never made it. Good job!

Julia and Jake Rainey said...

I have never been so affraid on a hike. Every part of my body was shaking from mostly fear. good job for going as far as you did. That last part is just an uphill crazy climb and talk about a mind game the whole way. Maybe next year you will feel better about it.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap little sis. I got nervous and sweaty just looking at the pictures! I am very proud of you for trying. Mom gave us all a fear of heights and I know I wouldn't be able to do it!

love ya - Tammy